Sunday, July 12, 2009

TAPS


On Sunday evenings I usually make cupcakes for a sweet treat but tonight I wanted some chocolate cake.  I pulled out my favorite recipe which is Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate.  I am used to baking with self-rising flour.  I use it for everything and I adjust whatever recipe I'm using accordingly but tonight I wanted to make the cake just like the recipe so that meant using all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt.  Well, I pulled out my can of baking powder and it said that it expires in September.  I was skeptical but used it anyway and with all the noise of putting kids to bed somehow I skipped over the salt.  Needless to say the cake ended up flat and tasteless.  This, however, did not stop me from eating two pieces.  Duane tried some and spit it out in a napkin.  I didn't even make the frosting as it was not frosting-worthy.  I dumped the cake into the trash can and Duane and I were very sad that we had no Sunday evening treat. I was so sad to it go so Duane googled TAPS and played it on the computer as I laid the cake to rest. Although it may seem weird it was really funny at the time. We take our chocolate cake very seriously around here!

7 comments:

M.S. said...

Brownies are the norm in this house hold. One time Brad thought he would make them and surprise me. I don't know why he tries this.... because he knows I'm a pro at brownies... thus, I posted the last time he made brownies... the GIANT brownie. Sad day to throw brownies out.

jenny said...

I made a chocolate candy bar trifle for the youth fireside and it was quite a hit. You shoulda been there!

Marcy said...

Impressive that you did it from scratch! those cake mixes are my best friend! Not as good as scratch, but still easy and tasty! Not long ago, we would have just made a fake trumpet sound for taps. Now we can google it! Who knew!

Mary Ann said...

I made a banana cake this week and Dan is on a diet somehow the cake is half gone and I have to admit it is all me....no wonder I have a cavity! Ha ha ha. My deepest sympathies for your cake. I will remember you in my prayers :)

Heidi said...

Ceremonies are the stuff of memories, and even throwing out a cake can be a fun event if you have the proper sense of humor. Awesome!

Rebecca McAllister said...

The loss of a chocolate cake is always a sad thing...I think I may have to make one in it's memory!

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Hi Vicki. It's Michelle from Shabby Creations. www.shabbycreations.blogspot.com
Just wanted to let you know your are the 2nd winner of my giveaway. You won a pre-made design of your choice from the pre-made boutique. Congratulations!
Email me and I'll give you details.
bellablog@shabbycreations.com